A partner visa is a visa for those who seek to enter or remain in the UK based on their relationship with a British citizen, someone who has settled status (otherwise known as indefinite leave to remain) or someone who has been recognised as a refugee. 

For the latter category, the relationship falls into this category where the refugee sponsoring partner and the applicant’s relationship started after the refugee fled their country of origin.  

Frequently Asked Questions

Yes, there is and only those who come within the definition can apply.

  • Spouse.
  • Civil Partner.
  • Unmarried partner- where the couple have been living together in a relationship akin to marriage for 2 years.
  • Fiancé(e).
  • Proposed Civil Partner.

Broadly, the requirements are:

  • In the case of fiancé(é)/proposed civil partnership visa, parties must be able to demonstrate an intention to enter into a marriage/proposed civil partnership within 6 months of entering the UK.
  • The marriage/civil partnership must be valid according to the laws where it took place.
  • The parties must have met, be over 18 and be free to marry.
  • The relationship must be genuine and subsisting.
  • The English Language requirement must be met.
  • The accommodation requirement must be met.
  • The financial requirement must be met- this is often the most difficult aspect of the application, and for those who are self-employed as sole traders or company directors it can be particularly complex.
  • The general grounds of refusal must not apply.

Visas in this category are granted for periods of 2 years and 9 months (out of country visas) and 2 years 6 months (in country) applications. Applicants are then required to seek an extension of their initial visa prior to the expiry of the visa. Applicants can apply for indefinite leave to remain once they have been in the UK on this type of visa for a continuous 5 year period.

An applicant who enters the UK on a partner visa and is subjected to domestic violence can qualify for indefinite leave to remain.  The applicant will require to prove by way of evidence that the domestic violence took place after the applicant entered the UK on a spouse visa.

In this situation, the bereaved partner can also qualify for indefinite leave to remain where the bereavement took place after the applicant arrived in the UK on a partner visa.

How can Drummond Miller help with partner visas?

We offer initial fixed fee consultations at which we can review your case against the criteria and advise you on your prospects of success

If you choose to select our full service, we will offer you a fixed fee and we will provide the following:

  • Bespoke legal representations to accompany your application setting out clearly why your application meets the terms of Appendix FM.
  • A Drummond Miller package meeting the onerous requirements of Appendix FM of the Specified Evidence Rules.
  • Advice on all aspects of the process and procedures to be followed.
  • Assistance with completion of all visa application forms.
  • We can assist applicants living in the UK and outside the UK.
  • Assistance with establishing Right to Work with employers.
Get in touch

Our team of solicitors is available for in-person consultations, as well as telephone and video appointments. Schedule a meeting today.

0 Google Reviews
"Thank you so much for all your hardwork and helpful advice during this stressful time, it is very much appreciated by both of us. We hope to work with you again in the future at the time of Hena's next application, your dedication and warmth while handling our case was truly remarkable."
Hena and William