What is an EEA Residence Document?

EEA Residence Cards are documents issued by Members States which confirm that the individual is in that Member State exercising their free movement rights. EEA nationals can prove their right to work through either their passport or a national ID card.


Residence Document

A family member of an EEA national can apply for a Residence Document which will confirm that they are residing in the UK as a family member of an EEA national who is exercising rights under the Free Movement Directive.


Who is eligible to apply for a Residence Document?

EEA Sponsor

In order to make an application, you must have an EEA sponsor. Your sponsor can either be an EEA national exercising Treaty Rights as a qualified person or they can be a holder of Permanent Residence.

To be eligible for an EEA Residence Document, the EEA national to whom the non-EEA national is related must be a ‘qualified’ person, which means they should be working, self-employed, studying or otherwise self-sufficient. Currently, if they fall into one of the latter two categories they are required to hold Comprehensive Sickness Insurance.

Who is a family member?  

If you are the spouse, civil partner, child, grandchild, dependent parent or grandparent of the qualified person, you can apply for a Residence card as a family member.

Who is an extended family member?

Unmarried partners or other relatives of the qualified person must apply as an extended family member.

You may be eligible to apply for an EEA Residence Document if your former family member was a qualified person, for example, if you were previously married to an EEA citizen but have now divorced. If you previously lived in another EEA country with a qualified family member who was a British citizen, you may also apply for an EEA Residence Document through what is known as a Surinder Singh application.

How we can help

EEA applications are very closely scrutinised by Home Office case-workers, particularly those made by extended family members.  In light of Brexit, it is very important that these applications are successfully made in order that proper documentation is obtained.

At Drummond Miller, we can guide you through every step of the process, advising on what documents are required to demonstrate eligibility for an EEA Residence Card.  We will fully prepare the application on your behalf.

As part of our popular fixed fee service we provide bespoke and detailed legal representations which guide and explain to the Caseworker how your application meet the terms of the EEA Regulations.

Our experience and expertise mean that you can rely on us to steer you through the complicated application process to achieve the best possible outcome for you and your family.

Get in touch

Our team of solicitors is available for in-person consultations, as well as telephone and video appointments. Schedule a meeting today.

0 Google Reviews
"A few months ago we hired your firms services to solve an immigration matter. The matter is now resolved thanks to your wonderful and talented lawyers at your Glasgow office. We would also like to thank everyone who worked behind the scenes such as admin staff and front desk for their support and cooperation. It was our pleasure working with your firm and we will recommend your services to others whenever the occasion arises."
Amer & Sonia