When you lease your property with Drummond Miller we'll ensure that you alway meet your obligations as a tenant. Below you will find an overview of some common FAQs from Landlords, click on each question to read more. 

From 30 April 2006 all private landlords letting residential properties in Scotland must have applied for registration in the register of landlords. The aim of landlord registration is to ensure that all private landlords in Scotland are "fit and proper" to be letting residential property. The requirement will help local authorities to remove disreputable landlords from the market and protect tenants and their neighbours from the impact of antisocial behaviour and mismanaged property on the wider community.

Registration is simple, Register online www.landlordregistrationscotland.gov.uk

or contact your Local Authority.

On 31 August 2011 it became an offence for landlords not to notify the local authority if they appoint an agent.
It is the responsibility of the landlord to have the gas supply and any gas appliances provided, checked and certified by a Qualified Gas Safe engineer. A copy of the certificate must be given to the tenant.
Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994 require all Landlords to ensure that electrical equipment is safe, will not cause danger and satisfies the safety requirements of the Regulations
Landlords have a legal duty to prevent or control the risk from exposure to Legionella under the Heath and Safety at Works etc Act 1974, therefore must carry out risk assessments on water systems on their properties and produce a Water Test Certificate.
All rented properties must have a functioning smoke alarm. Any smoke alarm installed after 3 September 2007 must be mains powered (with battery back-up). Carbon monoxide alarm also required to be fitted when a new/replacement boiler is installed.
Landlords have a duty to repair and maintain the property at the start of the tenancy and at all times during the tenancy, including a duty to make good any damage caused by carrying out this work.
Houses of Multiple Occupation, properties shared by 3 or more individuals (from more than 2 families) must have a current HMO licence.
Landlords must pay their tenant's deposits into an approved tenancy deposit scheme (within 30 days of receiving same) and provide the tenant with key information about the tenancy and deposit.
Energy Performance Certificate. Before you can market a property you have to have an Energy Performance Certificate. This must be displayed in all advertisements.
From 1 May 2013 landlords have a legal duty to provide new tenants with this pack which provides important information to tenants who rent their homes privately.

Become a landlord

Find out more about our service and arrange a no obligation valuation & appraisal of your property. Call us on 0131 226 5151.

Get in touch