To be based in Musselburgh
Drummond Miller LLP is a leading law firm and has its Head Office in Edinburgh with branch offices in Glasgow, Bathgate, Musselburgh and Dalkeith. The firm has an excellent reputation in various legal sectors including Medical Negligence, Family Law, Immigration, Conveyancing and Litigation. We have a growing and diverse Private Client practice in our Head Office and our branches.
We currently have opportunities for a full-time solicitor to join our busy Private Client team, in Musselburgh. From time to time you may be required to work in our other offices should the need arise. We are looking to recruit the right people as quickly as possible.
You will be involved in advising clients on all aspects of Private Client work including wills, powers of attorney, executry administration, trusts, basic tax planning, asset protection and guardianship.
Core Legal Tasks
- Meeting with and advising clients on a daily basis on a wide range of Private Client matters
- Taking instructions for the preparation of wills, including those requiring some IHT planning and the use of trusts, and powers of attorney
- Meeting with clients and taking instructions for taxable and non-taxable executries, administering executries to include making all enquiries, preparation of applications for Confirmation and related IHT forms, gathering in assets, preparation of executry accounts and executry tax, and completing all aspects of the administration
- A good working knowledge of IHT, other capital taxes and the use of trusts would be helpful
- Some knowledge of guardianships and intervention orders would be useful but not a prerequisite
- Managing a complex and busy workload and being able to take responsibility for your workload, with some supervision
- Ability to manage clients’ expectations
- Proven track record of experience in Private Client work
- Excellent written and communication skills including being able to communicate clearly and effectively with a broad range of clients and colleagues
- Willingness to develop the firm’s Private Client business in this geographical area
- Strong research skills and a genuine interest in this area of work
- STEP qualification would be an advantage but is not essential
If you would like more information about the role, please contact Sam Leek (HR Manager) on 0131 243 1201 for a confidential discussion.
If you are interested in applying, please email your CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 20th November 2019.